Nice to see you around!

Union Lose in Bischofswerda

2-1 Despite Early Lead

Mon, 21. November 2022
Union Lose in Bischofswerda

Union's Women's team suffered their second defeat in the Regionalliga Nordost on matchday 11. They lost 2-1 at Bischofswerdaer FV despite Nour Youssef's goal giving Union an early lead.

Bischofswerdaer FV: Werner - Zippack, Kasper, Schmidt, Kögler, Gries, Wendisch, Salzer, Fiedler (Stange), Prill, Salzmann

1. FC Union Berlin: Wagner - Wildner, Gericke (46. Schulz), Schindler, Bach - Scheel, Krauss (76. Weihmann), Heiseler - Reichenbach (65. Bucher), Spolaczyk, Youssef

Goals: 0-1 Youssef (46.), 1-1 Gries (55.), 2-1 Gries (68.)

Attendance: 75

A goalless first half

Union travelled to Bischofswerda weakened by sickness and injury, a side wrecked through  absences. Head coach Ailien Poese forced into making four more changes from the side that drew 3-3 against Carl Zeiss Jena II last weekend. Instead of Pauline Wimmer, Naika Reissner, Lisa Görsdorf and Hannah Kratz, who were all absent due to injury, Luca Scheel, Megan Reichenbach, Latoya Bach and Lina Krauss played.

The personnel worries were also shown as evident by there only being five players (two of whom taken from the 2nd team as well as goalkeeping coach Laura Ketzer) on the bench. Union were down to their bare bones.

Nonetheless, they came out of the traps strongly, a biciycle kick flying just over the bar in the first ten minutes. In the freezing temperatures, however, thiongs soon settled down, the game being largely played out in midfield. Union had more of the ball but struggled to create much of note against their well organised hosts.

It was not until shortly before the break that Union threatned the Bischofswerdaer goal, with two chances falling to Elisa Spolaczyk and Nour Youssef, which were, however, thwarted by the opposing keeper, Laura Werner. Union's goalkeeper, Melanie Wagner, was forced into her first stop, from a well struck volley, just before the stroke of half time. Accordingly, it was goalless as the teams left the pitch.

Youssef strikes immediately, but Bischofswerda turn the game around

Only a few seconds had passed in the 2nd half when the ball was already in the net. Nour Youssef scored directly after the restart with a fantastic shot into the far corner. It seemed as if the spell had been broken, but instead, a shocked Bischofswerda grew only stronger and quickly equalised. Union had been warned. In the 49th minute, Wagner made a strong save after losing the ball in her own penalty area, but five minutes later she was beaten. Leonie Gries headed the ball into the net at the back post from a corner in the 55th minute.

Union fought back again, pressing the Saxons back into their own box, but without creating any real chances of note. Instead, it was Bischofswerda who took the lead after 67 minutes, seemingly out of nowhere and following another set-piece. A free kick hit deep from the halfway line sailed to the six yard box where again Gries was on hand to finish with ease. 

After this double setback, Union struggled to find themselves, they were as if stunned. Wagner was called into more and more action, especially so when she found herself facing two Bischofswerda striker with a quarter of an hour to go. 

Union didn't create many other chances after that. Substitute Sandra Weihmann had the best opportunity in the 86th minute when she found herself free in front of goal after a long pass, but her attempt flew just wide. In the final minutes, Union pressed again despeartely trying to salvage a point, but they couldn't find a way through.

Union remain in third place in the table with 23 points, but are now already seven points behind leaders Viktoria Berlin and four points behind Türkiyemspor.

The coach's view after the game

"We concede two goals from set-pieces in a game we otherwise dominated throughout," said a frustrated head coach Ailien Poese after the final whistle, before coming back around to back them up. "The team gave everything, trying to break down their defence, even after falling behind, but unfortunately we just didn't manage to get the ball over the line. The disappointment is of course huge for everyone, but we will work through that and train our focus onto the next game."


Union now have another weekend free before their final games of the year. Next up will be Blau-Weiss Hohen Neuendorf on December 4th. Kick off at the Sportplatz an der Niederheide is at 13:00.