Have a nice day!

Union women's team defeat Hamburger SV 3:1

Turnaround after falling behind:

Sun, 11. February 2024
Union women's team defeat Hamburger SV 3:1

The professional women's team of 1. FC Union Berlin beat Hamburger SV 3:1 in the third test match of their winter preparation. At the Paul Hauenschild Sports Centre in Norderstedt, the Hanseatic side took the lead shortly after half-time through Larissa Mühlhaus (50'). Athanasia Moraitou equalised for Union in the 69th minute, before Dina Orschmann and Latoya Bach turned the game around just a few minutes later (74th / 78th).  

Hamburger SV: Naward - Stöckmann, Hirche, Braun, Dönges - Woelki (56. Büchele), Böhler (56. Schittek), Machtens (74. Kirschstein), Baum - Mühlhaus (70. Schulz), Marquardt (56. Krüger)

1. FC Union Berlin: Hornschuch (46. Wagner) - K. Orschmann, Becker, D. Orschmann (83. Youssef) - Metzker (74. Bach), Heiseler (74. Görsdorf), Frank, Moraitou (90+1. Scheel), Sakar - Abu Sabbah (83. Rurack), Blaschka (64. Niesler)

Spectators: 100

Goals: 1:0 Mühlhaus (50'), 1:1 Moraitou (69'), 1:2 D. Orschmann (74'), 1:3 Bach (78')

First half without relevant highlights

Union, for whom new winter signing Fatma Sakar made her debut, were on the same level as the second division leaders from the beginning. Similar to the meeting a year ago, when the two teams drew 0-0 in a test match, the spectators in Norderstedt saw an even game without many scoring chances. Both teams had roughly equal possession and playing time but were rarely able to break down the opposing defense.

Lisa Heiseler fired the only shot on goal in the first half in the 22nd minute, but her attempt from 20 metres landed in the arms of HSV keeper Lela-Celin Naward. On the counter-attack, Dina Orschmann made a sliding save from HSV striker Larissa Mühlhaus in the five-metre box (23'). However, there were no major chances in the first 45 minutes, meaning that the half-time score was consequently 0-0. 

Three goals in nine minutes: Union turn the game around

A few minutes after the break, HSV scored the first goal of the game from a corner. Dana Celine Marquardt's header was blocked by Katja Orschmann in the five-metre box, but the ball bounced straight to the feet of Larissa Mühlhaus, who reacted very quickly and slotted the ball into the net from close range. Union looked briefly unsettled after going behind, with Marie Becker having to make a last-ditch save in the penalty area to block a shot from Lisa Baum just seconds after the restart. Following this scene, the Köpenickers again ensured an evenly contested match: there was no recognisable difference between both teams at any point in the game.

In the 69th minute, after winning the ball in their opponents' half, the Unionerinnen were able to score their first goal. Via Celine Frank, Fatma Sakar and Lisa Heiseler, the ball eventually found its way to Dina Orschmann, who put the ball into the penalty area under pressure to Athanasia Moraitou. She nailed the ball under the crossbar from a completely free position to equalise (1:1). 

Union players were now literally inspired by the goal and disrupted HSV's build-up play early on with their high attacking pressing. Just five minutes after the equaliser, this approach helped them to get the lead: Frank again won the ball in the opposition half before the ball reached Dina Orschmann, who played a one-two pass with Sarah Abu Sabbah just outside the penalty area and finally slotted the ball into the corner from 13 metres out (74'). The Unionerinnen were in the best moment of the match and this mood led them to celebrate a third time just four minutes later. A cross from Dina Orschmann, who was involved in all three goals, found Latoya Bach, who had just come on as a substitute. She placed the ball accurately into the corner after shooting from ten metres away (78'). 

The Red & Whites had pulled the plug on the second division leaders within nine minutes. HSV made a few more attempts to reduce the deficit in the final minutes, but goalkeeper Melanie Wagner was also on hand to prevent the final goal with a foot save in the 85th minute. The result was ultimately an impressive 3:1 victory against the North Germans.

Comments on the game

„We took control of the game well in the first half against the 2. Bundesliga leaders. That was already very good, but we didn't manage to create any clear goalscoring opportunities. In the second half, we looked a bit hectic at the start and let the game slip out of our hands a little, but after going behind, we played down the pitch again and were now able to reward ourselves. We're incredibly proud of the team and of course delighted with the win," said Head Coach Ailien Poese, analysing the game.

„We showed that we can hold our own against the leaders of the 2. Bundesliga. Of course, it was a very duel-intensive game with only a few goal-area scenes, but we showed our mentality once again and won 3:1 in the end. I don't think it gets any better than that," said goalscorer Latoya Bach, summarising the match. 

Next match

Next Sunday, 18 February, the Union women's team will play their next test match. At the training centre Oberspree, the Union women will host ATS Buntentor from the Regionalliga Nord at 2 p.m.