Wow! We got an early bird here!

Union Women Win in Leipzig

Battling 1-0 Victory Keeps Them Top

Mon, 17. October 2022
Union Women Win in Leipzig

1. FC Union Berlin's winning streak continued into the seventh game of the  Regionalliga Nordost season on Sunday afternoon. But it was far from being a stroll. SV Eintracht Leipzig-Süd, second from last in the table, made Union fight all the way for their 1-0 win. The decisive goal was scored by Luise Wildner.

SV Eintracht Leipzig-Süd: Kriegk - Wendel, Herbst (28. Stolle), Ohme, Petersohn, Reißmann, Jankowski (60. Schuster), Weber (68. Leise), Teubner, Weltz, Förster

1. FC Union Berlin: Wagner - Wildner, Schindler, Gericke, Bach (90. Westphal) - Reichenbach (73. Krauss), Kratz (73. Görsdorf), Heiseler, Rurack (90+2. Bucher) - Youssef, Spolaczyk

Goal: 0:1 Wildner (42.)

Attendance: 67

Wildner shifts wht balance for Union, just before the break

Union head coach Ailien Poese made three changes from last weeks 8-0 victory over Stern. Hannah Kratz, Zita Rurack and newly crowned German U-19 international Pauline Gericke, coming in for Pauline Wimmer, Lena Bucher and Marie Becker.

At first it seemed as if Union were just going to continue from where they left off last week, carving out the first big chance to score after just two minutes, but Elisa Spolaczyk's header came back off the crossbar. There were further chances in the first ten minutes on but they weren't taken. Megan Reichenbach and Hannah Kratz both had shots saved by the opposing goalkeeper, Anna-Lena Kriegk. After 18 minutes a header by Nour Youssef again flew just over.

After Union's strong opening period, however, the game gradually settled down. The sides cancelled each out largely, with Leipzig's defensive nous showing through, and the balance held evenly in midfield. Though they had much more of the ball, Union were lacking in ideas, they created little in front of goal.

But when it looked as if both sides had would have to be content to go into half time scoreless, Luise Wildner was able to put the Köpenickers in front. After a cross from Zita Rurack, the right-back finished neatly from inside the box. It was the 19-year-old's first goal in the red and white stripes of Union.

Second half remains scoreless

The second half continued along a similar pattern to the first, the spectators at Leipzig's Südkampfbahn watching Union with a lot of possession and dominating the game, but still without any compelling opportunities to score another. Zita Rurack had by far the best chance of the half in the 74th minute when, after a strong cross from Lisa Heiseler, she only had to nudge the ball over the line from six yards out. However, the ball slipped off the 18-year-old's foot and the score remained 1-0.

Although Union seemed largely in control, and the game took place almost exclusively in Leipzig's half, Union's single goal lead was not always assured. Indeed, with only a minute to play Leipzig suddenly broke, a lone attacker bearing down on Melanie Wagner's goal, but her touch deserted her at the last moment and Wagner was able to pick up the ball safely.

The last chance of the game fell to Elisa Spolaczyk, but her shot from the edge of the box was saved well in time added on.

In the end, it was a tough, if deserved win against dogged opponents for Union, and with it they remain top of the Regionalliga Nordost with 19 points from seven games. They are followed by Viktoria Berlin and Türkiyemspor (18 points each), although the latter still have a game in hand.

The coach and players' views after the match

After the final whistle, Ailien Poese put the victory into perspective, while looking ahead to the hugely important, top of the table match next week when Union host Türkiyemspor. "Leipzig defended with all their might for 90 minutes. It was certainly not our best game this season, but in the end we deserved to take the three points and are now fully focused on the next home game against Türkiyemspor. We look forward to lots of support next week at the Fritz-Lesch-Sportplatz."

Zita Rurack said after the final whistle, "It was quite a battle today, but we go home with three important points. Now the full focus is on next weekend."


Kick-off for the next sunday's clash between the only unbeaten teams in the league, is at 14:00. As usual, admission is free.