Good morning!

Devastating Union Shatter Türkiyemspor

11-2 Victory Continues Women's 100% Record

Sun, 12. November 2023
Devastating Union Shatter Türkiyemspor

1. FC Union Berlin’s women’s team came out with a resounding 11-2 win over local rivals Türkiyemspor on matchday 10 of the Regionalliga Nordost season. Lisa Heiseler and double goal-scorer Dina Orschmann were joined on the scoresheet by Anouk Blaschka, Sarah Abu Sabbah, who bagged a hattrick, Pia Metzker and Nour Youssef.

1. FC Union Berlin: Wagner - Metzker, K. Orschmann, Niesler (46. Becker), D. Orschmann (64. Reissner) - Görsdorf, Heiseler, Moraitou (46. Frank) - Blaschka (46. Youssef), Abu Sabbah (79. Rurack), Trojahn

Türkiyemspor: Scheunemann - Schick (69. Kullick), Szuh, Laue, Wolter Cosme - Beyaztepe (46. Loredo Ahoki), Almasalme, Lübcke - Vom-Dahl (69. Mohamad), Wippig (80. Toth), Pflanz (80. Schwedler)

Personnel: Union head coach Ailien Poese made one change to the starting XI from the 8-0 win over 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam II a fortnight ago, with Athanasia Moraitou returning to the starting line-up in place of Celine Frank.

Goals: 1-0 Heiseler (8'), 2-0 D. Orschmann (13.), 3-0 Trojahn (27.), 4-0 Abu Sabbah (29.), 5-0 Abu Sabbah (33.), 6-0 Moraitou (35., penalty), 7-0 Blaschka (40.), 8-0 Abu Sabbah (48.), 9-0 D. Orschmann (61.), 9-1 Pflanz (65.), 10-1 Metzker (72.), 11-1 Youssef (81.), 11-2 Schwedler (84.)

Attendance: 288

A festival of goals in Adlershof. Union lead 7:0 at half-time

Union took control of the game immediately in front of another good crowd at their Dörpfeldstraße home, tearing into their opponents from the start. There was no let up, and it was with little surprise when their dominance reaped rewards as early as the 8th minute.

A corner kick from Anouk Blaschka reached Lisa Heiseler, standing unmarked, as lonely as a cloud, in the six-yard box. The skipper drove home with her left foot unerringly.

Just a minute later, Heiseler, who had capped a brilliant display with a hat-trick the last time the sides met, found herself in front of goal, but Laetitia Scheunemann in the Türkiyemspor goal saved her shot.

The second goal, however, was not long in coming. In the 13th minute, Union’s devastating skill on the break shone through when Anouk Blaschka won the ball on the halfway line and sent Heiseler on her way. She was again unmarked in front of Scheunemann, but unselfishly crossed for Dina Orschmann, the only player to have kept apace with her, who rolled the ball into the now empty goal.

Union piled on the pressure, creating chance after chance, minute by minute by minute until the Türkiyemspor dam utterly collapsed in the 27th minute. Sophie Trojahn found herself free in front of goal after receiving another inch-perfect through ball, finishing with preternatural calm.

Two minutes later, it was 4-0, the goal, a trademark piece of Union play, sculpted over all the hours professionalism has granted them on the Fritz-Lesch Sportplatz. Blaschka played the ball deep to Abu Sabbah, who was too quick for her opponent, flicking the ball into the far corner. The best was yet to come. In the 33rd minute Athanasia Moraitou crossed from the left, where her good friend and former (as well as current) team-mate Abu Sabbah side-footed a volley home, hammering it in it under the crossbar.

There was barely time to catch breath, Union would have their next just a minute later, this time through a penalty kick, Moraitou stepping up and confidently slotting the ball past the luckless Scheunemann’s right.

Union, who had swept their opponents aside with four goals in eight minutes, then shifted down a gear. They would add just one more goal before half-time when a free-kick from Blaschka slipped through the hands of Scheunemann in the 40th minute to make it 7-0 ng it up, knowing how superb they were)when the whistle, somewhat mercifully, blew.

Union share out the goals. Türkiyemspor bag a pair of consolations

Union were unremitting, carrying on from where they left off almost as soon as the second half kicked off. Abu Sabbah, the league’s top scorer, made it 8-0 only three minutes in with a shot from the edge of the box.

But as they continued to dominate, Union would be forgiven if they were not immediately quite as efficient as they had been in the first half. Heiseler failed to beat the keeper in the 56th minute, as did Abu Sabbah from close range two minutes later. However, after an hour, Heiseler swung another corner into the penalty area, where Dina Orschmann got her head to the ball to complete her brace.

Union were determined, their eyes on racking up a cricket score, but not before the visitors from Kreuzberg managed a consolation. A free-kick from the halfway line slipped through Melanie Wagner's hands from where Lena Pflanz only had to roll the ball over the line with half an hour still to play.

It was the first goal Union had conceded in 872 minutes. The previous one coming after three minutes on the first day of the season.

Union got their tenth goal through Pia Metzker. Abu Sabbah darted through Türkiyem’s stuttering lines from where she laid the ball into the path of Metzker, who finished, even as she fell.

Nour Youssef then made it 11-1 in the 81st minute with a low shot inside the back post. The 18-year-old was also the eighth different goalscorer of the day for Union, a statistic underlining what was a superb team performance.

That the final goal of the day was scored by Türkiyemspor after a counter-attack by substitute Sally Schwedler, took little of the shine off the win. Union had simply blown Türkiyemspor away.  

It means that they are yet to drop a point, having played ten times already this season, and now lead the table by nine points from their closest rivals Viktoria Berlin, who have a single game in hand.

The coach and player’s views on the game

"We were absolutely commanding in the first half and hardly let Türkiyemspor get the ball,” said a jubilant Union head coach, Ailien Poese, after the final whistle.  “We played brilliantly through the middle with lots of short passing movements. The goals we conceded in the second half were annoying, of course, but it was still a clear result in a game between the first and third-placed teams today.”

Winger, Naika Reissner could only add to her boss’s impression. “I thought our performance was very good overall. We pressed well in the first half getting into the deep areas. In the second half we had a bit more trouble with that, but in the end almost everything worked out today."

The outlook

The two teams will face each other again in just four days' time, on Thursday, 16. November when they meet in the last 16 of the Polytan Cup. The match will take place at the Käthe-Tucholla-Stadion in Bruno-Bürgel-Weg. Kick-off is at 19:30. Admission is free.