Good morning!

Draw against Stuttgart takes Union into Bundesliga


Mon, 27. May 2019
Draw against Stuttgart takes Union into Bundesliga

1. FC Union Berlin's 0-0 draw with VfB Stuttgart at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei is enough to secure the club's first-ever promotion to the Bundesliga.

After a 2-2 first leg draw at the Mercedes-Benz Arena, the Köpenick side held out for 90 minutes to secure a place in the top-flight on away goals.

The squad and fans will have the chance to celebrate together on Wednesday in Köpenick.

1. FC Union Berlin: Gikiewicz; Ryerson, Friedrich, Hübner, Reichel; Schmiedebach, Prömel, Zulj; Abdullahi, Hartel, Andersson

VfB Stuttgart: Zieler; Pavard, Badstuber, Kabak, Aogo; Ascacibar, Zuber, Akolo, Gentner; Gonzalez, Donis

Christopher Trimmel and Felix Kroos picked up suspensions in the first leg draw in Stuttgart, whilst Florian Hübner returned from his one-game absence in place of Michael Parensen. Julian Ryerson deputised in place of Trimmel on the right side of defence. Urs Fischer’s team were dealt an early setback when Dennis Aogo fired home from 25 yards at a free-kick. However, Christian Dingert intervened quickly and removed the goal after consultation with the video assistant referee — the first time the new technology has been aired at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei. On 20 minutes, Holger Badstuber and Ozan Kabak collided in an aerial tussle, leaving both players on the ground and requiring treatment. The Stuttgart medical team strapped both players up and they returned to the pitch after a few minutes break. In attack, Union couldn’t quite make anything stick despite a couple of promising counterattacks. The final pass was lacking, but the Swabians showed their experience with a strong defensive performance. A minute before the interval, Steven Zuber tested his luck from distance and forced Rafal Gikiewicz to move quickly across his line and parry round the post.

The Stuttgart coach brought Mario Gomez into the game during the break for the second game running. Although the half was by-and-large nervy for Fischer's side, Union grew with more confidence and courage. Grischa Prömel and Abdullahi combined around the edge of the box, but the Swabians defended at the death. The two were excellent again on the break and the Nigerian's shot cannoned wide off the post. Abdullahi continued to pose a threat in one-vs-one situations and while through on goal, he was brought down by Kabak, with the referee playing on. Gikiewicz's super save from Benjamin Pavard's shot kept the game all square, but the pressure was mounting on the Union goal. With Parensen introduced to shore up the defence, Union took full advantage and held on after five minutes of stoppage time.

The time has now come.