Good morning!

Rare Subotic goal as Union beat Augsburg

2-0 home win:

Sat, 25. January 2020
Rare Subotic goal as Union beat Augsburg

A couple of second-half goals fired 1. FC Union Berlin to an important victory at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei against FC Augsburg.

After a goalless first half, Neven Subotic scored his first for the club two minutes after the restart. Marcus Ingvartsen added a second to make sure of the points after 61 minutes.

1. FC Union Berlin: Gikiewicz; Subotic, Schlotterbeck, Friedrich; Lenz, Trimmel, Gentner, Andrich (Kroos 79); Ingvartsen (Ryerson 86); Ujah (Bülter 72), Andersson

FC Augsburg: Koubek; Uduokhai, Gouweleeuw, Jedvaj, Max; Khedira (Löwen 69), Baier, Vargas (Finnbogason 76); Richter, Hahn, Niederlechner

Last weekend, Fischer’s team restarted the Bundesliga campaign at pace-setters RB Leipzig, going down 1-3 to Julian Nagelsmann’s men. The final home encounter before a mammoth series of away trips, Fischer restored captain Christopher Trimmel to the starting line-up after illness. Keven Schlotterbeck slotted in for Michael Parensen, while Anthony Ujah was rewarded for his recent run of goals during the winter break with a start ahead of Marius Bülter. A fine passage from the Köpenick club in the second minute opened up a situation for Marcus Ingvartsen, but the pass was a few inches ahead of the Danish U21 international. Similarly, two minutes later, the build-up came from the left-hand side and Christopher Lenz pulled a shot wide of Koubek’s post. The Augsburg number one would have had little chance in keeping out Marvin Friedrich’s sweetly-struck volley, which went wide on 18 minutes. Lenz took matters into his own hands in the 21st minute, sliding on to his right-foot and striking wide of the far post from the edge of the box. In terms of chances, that was about as good as Fischer’s men could conjure up in the first 45 minutes. Rafal Gikiewicz was likewise quiet at the other end aside from a header from Augsburg striker Florian Niederlechner who was eventually flagged offside.

Quickly after the interval, Union forced their way into the lead. A typically dangerous set play from Trimmel went all the way through to Subotic at the back-post, the big defender finishing with ease. That set the tone for the Köpenick club who stayed on top for the most part. Ujah went through on goal from the left-hand side but a weak shot missed the target. On 61 minutes, Lenz sent a wicked cross into the box, the deflection found Andrich who then picked out Ingvartsen. The attacking-midfielder cooly slotted in his fourth Bundesliga goal of the campaign from around 12 yards out. Union turned to defensive-mode thereafter and prevented Martin Schmidt’s team from breaking through. Schlotterbeck, Christian Gentner, Subotic and Andrich were cautioned by referee Bibiana Steinhaus — midfielder Andrich was later substituted after picking up an injury. Fischer turned to Bülter, Felix Kroos and Julian Ryerson from the bench to see the game out in the final minutes. Union were also aided by terrific goalkeeping from Gikiewicz who continued to demonstrate why he is one of the best number ones in the Bundesliga.

The three points at home set Union up for a busy schedule ahead with three away matches in a row. Next, the Köpenick club make the trip to Borussia Dortmund next Saturday, followed by SC Verl in the DFB Pokal in midweek and then SV Werder Bremen away from home in a fortnight.