The history of 1. FC Union Berlin began in 1906, when pupils and apprentices in Oberschöneweide founded a football club. In 1920 this club, now known by the name “Union”, was listed in the register of associations in the German capital. In the same year, members and supporters built the sports ground An der Alten Försterei on the outskirts of Wuhlheide in the municipal forest of Treptow-Köpenick.
This is how they established a tradition which has continued to the present day.
The name “Alte Försterei” [Old Forester’s House], the battle cry “Eisern Union” [Iron Union] and the basic attitude, to stand up for the club and for each other, have since then belonged to the identity of each and every “Unioner”. The two world wars, the division of Germany, the division of Berlin, and the division of the club changed nothing — not even the short period of time when football was played at An der Alten Försterei under the names “Motor” or “TSC”.
In 1966, 1. FC Union Berlin was founded as a football training center. Since 1990 it has been registered as an association. For the accomplishment of its tasks, the articles of association are presented below: