Oh, what a night! :-)

Union earn point against Wolfsburg

2-2 at the Alte Försterei:

Sat, 09. January 2021
Union earn point against Wolfsburg

1. FC Union Berlin and ten-man Wolfsburg played out a 2-2 draw on Saturday afternoon at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei. 

Goals from Sheraldo Becker and Robert Andrich turned the game around after Renato Steffen's opener after 10 minutes. Maximilian Arnold was sent off for the visitors, but Wolfsburg were able to peg Union through Wout Weghort's penalty kick in the 66th minute.

1. FC Union Berlin: Luthe; Trimmel, Lenz, Hübner, Friedrich, Knoche; Andrich, Griesbeck (Ryerson 87); Becker (Bülter 77), Ingvartsen (Gogia 87), Awoniyi (Teuchert 77)

Wolfsburg: Casteels; Otavio, Pongracic (Guilavogui 46), Brooks, Baku (William 90); Schlager, Arnold; Steffen, Gerhardt, Brekalo (Mbabu 66); Weghorst

Urs Fischer made one change from Saturday's 2-0 win at Werder Bremen as Union went for continuity in the new year. Sebastian Griesbeck's inclusion in the starting line-up came about due to the suspension for Grischa Prömel who stepped over the five-card threshold last week. Before the game hit 100 seconds, the Köpenick club were as close as you could get to the opening goal. Wolfsburg captain and goalkeeper Koan Casteels misjudged a loose ball outside his penalty box, but Becker was unable to put the ball into the empty net from around 18 yards out. But it was the home side who had to pick the ball out of the net for the first time in the match in the 10th minute. Wolfsburg won a corner kick following an excellent save from Andreas Luthe, but the Union number one was beaten by Renato Steffen's header from the resulting set-play. After a challenging 20 minutes with Wolfsburg in the ascendency, Union recovered some control of the match. On 18 minutes, Marcus Ingvartsen picked out Taiwo Awoniyi with an excellent pass, set up Becker but he shot straight at the keeper. Although the chance didn't really threaten Casteels, it was a sign of things to come as Union kicked into gear. On 29 minutes, Becker got his goal – the assist and hard-work from Ingvartsen carving out the chance for Union on the counter. Marin Pongracic conceded possession to the aggressive Dane, he picked out the Dutch winger on the right and Becker's shot cannoned into the roof of the net. The teams went into the dressing room after 45 minutes with the scores level, but the final few minutes of the half could have seen the result swing either way. Wout Weghorst fed the ball into Yannick Gerhardt but Luthe was quick off his line to win the one-v-one battle. At the other end, Becker's cross was inch-perfect for Awoniyi but the Nigerian headed wide before the final action was a potential penalty shout against Ingvartsen.

Four minutes into the second half, referee Patrick Ittich dealt with the first match-changing moment. Ingvartsen's outstanding pass unlocked the Wolfsburg defence, Awoniyi ran into the box but was taken down by Maximilian Arnold who was sent off. With the assistance of VAR, Ittich reversed his initial penalty decision and Union had to make do with a free-kick at the edge of the box. Robert Andrich certainly made a lot out of the free-kick, curling over the wall and past Casteels to put the Köpenick club ahead. On the hour mark, Ittich stepped in as Christopher Trimmel's corner kick, which went straight into the net, was ruled out due to an alleged foul from Awoniyi against the goalkeeper. A frustrating decision went against Fischer's team and six minutes later, the referee awarded Wolfsburg a penalty kick for a handball against Ingvartsen. Weghorst stepped up from 12 yards and converted past Luthe. Despite the frustrations, Union had to reset and get back to basis with the points just as important to get the club closer to their objectives. Cedric Teuchert, Marius Bülter, Andi Gogia and Julian Ryerson were the fresh legs used from the bench to get the team over the line. All contributed defensively and in the end, both teams were content with a share of the points.