Nothing on TV tonight? :)

Union beat Hildesheim 4-0

Friendly at the Alte Försterei:

Mon, 09. August 2021
Union beat Hildesheim 4-0

1. FC Union Berlin beat VfV Borussia Hildesheim 4-0 in a bounce match at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei on Monday.

Cedric Teuchert came off the bench to mark his return from the Olympic Games and he finished off after a fantastic performance from Hildesheim's goalkeeper Antonio Brandt. Teuchert turned creator after 83 minutes to set up Pawel Wzsolek for an easy finish. Within another couple of minutes, Paul Jaeckel and Suleiman Abdullahi got their names on the scoresheet.

1. FC Union Berlin: Rönnow; Puchacz, Jaeckel, Van Drongelen, Ryerson; Griesbeck (Wszolek 45), Ingvartsen (Teuchert 45), Haraguchi; Öztunali (Dehl 66), Endo (Abdullahi 66), Behrens (Ujah 45)

VfV Hildesheim: Brandt (Geerts 81); Rauch, Drawz (Franke 73), Aytun (Hein 87), Zlatkov (Abdul 45), Sonntag (Steinwendel 45), Erdmann (El Saleh 45), Ufuk (Kiy 87), Vinzenz (Wölfing 87), Schulze (Pillich 87), Baghdadi (Shedada 73)

Markus Unger's side start their season on Saturday away to LSK Hansa in the Regionalliga Nord and provided Union with the final warm-up opposition ahead of the Bundesliga kick-off. Those who started in the German Cup victory in Türkgücü München were given a rest, while there was an opportunity for others to get minutes. Urs Fischer's side featured six summer signings alongside Julian Ryerson who wore the captain's armband in front of 800 supporters at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei. Keita Endo's sharp break inside saw the attacker get a ton of space but he fired over the crossbar after six minutes. Antonio Brandt in the Hildesheim was given a busy afternoon. It started with him holding a long-range left-foot shot from Marcus Ingvartsen. Tymo Puchacz wriggled through with an excellent dribble but Brandt saved. Endo will feel he should have scored from his second attempt but shot over the bar. Hildesheim's Brandt handed Union a great chance to score on 18 minutes when he struck his clearance straight to Behrens. The striker - whose goal was ruled out on Sunday for offside - flicked the ball into Haraguchi's path but the Japanese midfielder missed. Emre Aytun cleared one off the line as Ingvartsen threatened again before the 20th minute mark. Despite knocks for Van Drongelen and Behrens, the two players continued. The next opportunity for Union to find the break through was a lovely piece of interplay between Haraguchi and Endo. The lay off sent Endo in on goal but Brandt stuck out a leg to good effect. The 21-year-old goalkeeper was in fine form as he palmed away a shot from Levin Öztunali about 25 yards from goal. Behrens tried again but Brandt was in fine form to protect his clean sheet going into the break.

After a cameo appearance against Athletic Bilbao, Anthony Ujah was one of three players introduced at the break. Less than 120 seconds in and the Nigerian almost finished at the back post. Pawel Wszolek, a summer transfer from Legia Warsaw, and returning Olympian Cedric Teuchert were also given the nod at the break. Substitute Teuchert found an inch of space in the 58th minute around the box, striking on target but Brandt tipping on to the post. The away side may have struggled to impose themselves on the game but they did get a chance to score on the hour mark. Marco Drawz was a few yards out, unmarked, and ought to have burst the net but Frederik Rönnow showed fast reactions to keep the ball out. Laurenz Dehl and Suleiman Abdullahi were introduced after an hour in place of Levin Öztunali and Endo. Abdullahi, who spent last season on loan at Braunschweig, forced Brandt into a fine save on 68 minutes. Ujah and Abdullahi combined together, the former crossing into the area for Suleiman but his touch was wide of the target on 75 minutes. Goalkeeper Brandt denied Abdullahi one-v-one a minute later as Union continued to knock on the door. The resistance of the Regionalliga side was eventually broken with 11 minutes to play at the Alte Försterei. Cedric Teuchert found plenty of room in behind and rounded the goalkeeper before finishing off. The striker turned provider four minutes later, setting up Wszolek who was handed an easy finish from about six yards out. The visitors looked like they had run out of gas and Union's fresh legs took advantage. A corner from Genki Haraguchi was headed in by Paul Jaeckel while captain Ryerson finished off a fine performance with the armband, crossing for Abdullahi to score the fourth of the day.