Game vs. Saint-Gilloise ends 2-2

Draw in the second test:

Mon, 06. January 2020
Game vs. Saint-Gilloise ends 2-2

While Union won the first game of the day in the morning, the team had to accept a draw in the afternoon. With a powerful shot in the 14th minute Sheraldo Becker put Union in the lead, minutes before the half-time break Anthony Ujah scored the 2-0 (37’). In the 53rd minute Aron Sigurdarson hit back (53’), his team mate Sigurd Haugen scored the equalizer right before the end of the game (87’).

1.FC Union Berlin: Nicolas - Trimmel, Maloney (54’ Kade), Subotic, Reichel - Becker (62’ Flecker), Gentner (82’ Arcones), Kroos, Bülter - Ujah, Andersson

Royale Union Saint-Gilloise: Kristiansen - El Banouhi (61' Vega), Kandouss 61. Bager), Perdichizzi, Hamzaoui (61‘ Kis) - Teuma (61‘ Bah), Nielsen (61‘ Bouekou), Van der Heyden - Tabekou (61' Haugen), Fixelles (61' Ferber), Sigurdarson (61' Young)

Goals: 1: 0 Becker (14’), 2: 0 Ujah (37’), 2: 1 Sigurdarson (53’), 2: 2 Haugen (87')

Visitors: about 300

For the second test game of the day, Urs Fischer sent eleven different players on the pitch than in the morning - only Julius Kade, Florian Flecker and Maurice Opfermann Arcones, who didn’t play full 90 minutes, had their place on the bench in both rounds. Instead of Jakob Busk, this time youth keeper Leo Oppermann was the substitute goalkeeper.

Union took control of the game right from the start, implementing the instructions of their headcoach which shortly led to the leading goal. The Belgians fended off a flattened free kick from the right wing to the edge of the box, from where Sheraldo Becker hit the ball with a full span into the top right corner (14’). While the Union coaching team repeatedly corrected the positional game of their team, Saint-Gilloise barely managed to make an offensive appearance. On Union's side, Anthony Ujah failed after 28 minutes with a header that went over the bar. A free kick from Ken Reichel was saved by goalkeeper Kristiansen with little effort.

In the 37th minute the Belgian goalkeeper was beaten a second time: After a corner kick, the ball dropped from Lennart Maloney to Anthony Ujah, who was almost at the baseline. The Nigerian striker sent the ball over Kristiansen into the far corner.
Shortly before the half-time break, the Belgians drew attention to themselves in front of the goal, but Moritz Nicolas scratched the powerful shot from Sigurdarson from the angle (45.).

For the second half both teams returned to the pitch without any substitutions. Just three minutes after the restart, Sebastian Andersson barely missed the goal twice. On the other side of the pitch, Lennart Maloney was injured in defense action. While the knee of the 20-year-old had to be checked outside the pitch, Siguardarson scored a goal for Saint-Gilloise - 1:2 (53.).

Maloney had to be replaced, Julius Kade took over (54’). Saint-Gilloise’s Coach also switched his team and brought eight new players onto the pitch in the 61st minute. The Belgians now were stronger and put Union under pressure. In the following minutes, Saint-Gilloise tried their best to score the equalizer. Then Sigurd Haugen initially fired a shot just above the crossbar, but three minutes to the end of the game the Norwegian did better and left Moritz Nicolas with no chance – 2:2 (87.).

On Saturday, January 11th, Union meets the Hungarian first divison club Ferencvaros Budapest for their last test of the winter break. The game will take place on the training ground in Campoamor, kick-off is at 3:00 p.m.