Today, the Stadion An der Alten Försterei is celebrating a special centenary birthday.
On August 7, 1920, SC Union Oberschöneweide, one of the predecessor clubs of 1. FC Union Berlin, opened their newly-created Sportpark Sadowa — on the same grounds which eventually led to the Stadion An der Alten Försterei. SC Union welcomed German champions 1. FC Nürnberg, who won 2-1 in the capital as the new venue was inaugurated in front of 7,000 people.
Nürnberg arrived with a star-studded team at the time and the local newspapers raved about the skill and class of the Franconians who won four championships in six years. SC Union, then wearing blue, were camped in defensive-mode for most of the game given the gulf in quality between the clubs.
SC Union's celebrations continued the following day with five matches against FC Union 1892. The series of matches started with the youth and reserve teams before the first-teams came together and played out a 2-0 win for the visitors.