The name Wolfgang “Potti” Matthies brings back memories of the flying Union-goalie of the ‘70s and ‘80s. Fans voted him to the club’s “Footballer of the Year” in 1982, 1983, 1986 and 1987. In 2006 they went even further and named him the club’s most valuable player of all times.
Today’s now 30-year-old birthday boy Christoph Schösswendter looked pleasantly surprised when a big red strawberry cake was brought into the lunch room, as manager Urs Fischer pushed his team through two high-paced training sessions on day 9 of training camp in Klosterpforte.
With Saturday night handed over to the players, head coach Urs Fischer offered a team breakfast on a voluntary basis.
During the weekend, the players in Klosterpforte are given just one training session per day.
We've reached the half way point at the training camp in Klosterpforte: Five days are gone, five more are still to come.
Tickets for our upcoming games against MSV Duisburg and FC St Pauli in the 2.Bundesliga, as well as, the preceding German Cup fixture at Carl Zeiss Jena will be on sale from Monday July 23.
The friendly match, which was originally scheduled for today, was finally cancelled by local police for security reasons.
1. FC Union Berlin and Philipp Hosiner will go their separate ways this summer with the 29-year-old striker moving back to his homeland to join SK Sturm Graz.
Urs Fischer put his Union players through their paces in light rain this morning before allowing them some free time after lunch.
The German Football League (DFL) have confirmed the schedules for matchdays 3-8 for the 2018/19 2.Bundesliga season.
1. FC Union Berlin have invited attacker Haji Wright for a trial period at the training camp in Klosterpforte.
1. FC Union Berlin and Philipp Hosiner are likely to end their association over the next couple of days as the Austrian striker undergoes at a medical at a new club.
Though Union Berlin's pre-season routine remained intact, Tuesday was a day of many changes at the training camp in Klosterpforte.
After yesterday's recovery training, the ball was finally out of the bag at Klosterpforte.
1. FC Union Berlin will make the trip to relegated side 1. FC Köln on Monday August 13 for the second 2.Bundesliga game of the 2018/19 season.
The trip to Klosterpforte in Nordrhein-Westfalen (between: Münster and Bielefeld) began early in the morning from the capital as the players set off for a 10-day training camp.
Urs Fischer and his players travel to Klosterpforte in Nordrhein-Westfalen on Sunday July 8 for the second training camp of the summer.
1. FC Union Berlin defender Lennard Maloney has been called up to the U20 national team of the United States.
1. FC Union Berlin won for the second time in 24 hours, scoring three times to see off Regionalliga outfit Union Fürstenwalde at the Bonava-Arena.
For the second year running, the German FA (DFB) have awarded the youth academy of 1. FC Union Berlin the highest possible grade — three stars.